This document describes the process of reinstalling a CloudFormation stack for an AWS account linked to the Clumio Portal. This process will be required under the following scenarios:
- Resolve any drifts detected for the existing CloudFormation stack. (Refer to this AWS Drift Detection Document to detect drifts on your Clumio CloudFormation stack.)
- Routine maintenance and update of the existing CloudFormation stacks deployed in an AWS account.
The user updating the CloudFormation must have valid administrative credentials to the following:
- AWS administrative console to manage the CloudFormation services.
- The Clumio service credentials used to access the Clumio portal.
- Log in to the AWS Management Console and select "CloudFormation" from the services tab.
- Filter "Active" Stacks from the CloudFormation console and select the "ClumioService" Stack deployed while onboarding the Clumio backup service.
- Click on "Delete" tab and click "Delete Stack".
Note: Deleting this stack will delete all stack resources deployed by Clumio.
- Log into the Clumio portal with Clumio Service credentials.
- Click on "AWS" under the Data Sources section and then click on the 'Environments' tab.
- Click on the 'AWS Account Number' under which you wish to reinstall the stack. The AWS environment with a deleted stack should currently be in an 'Unlinked' state.
- Click on the 'Settings' tab to get the AWS environment connection information.
- Copy the values in the following fields:
- AWS CloudFormation Template: The Clumio CloudFormation template YAML file. This template includes all of the parameters needed to create the CloudFormation stack for the account and specified AWS account region. This value will be pasted into the Amazon S3 URL field when creating the CloudFormation stack.
- Token: This represents the 36-character Clumio AWS integration ID token used to identify the installation of the CloudFormation template on the account. This value will be pasted into the ClumioToken field when creating the CloudFormation stack.
- Navigate back to your AWS account through the AWS Management Console and create a CloudFormation stack “With new resources (standard)” and complete the following fields:
- Select Template is ready.
- Select Amazon S3 URL.
- Paste the AWS CloudFormation Template URL you copied from Clumio into the Amazon S3 URL field.
- Enter a meaningful Stack name to help you easily identify the stack.
- Paste the token you copied from Clumio into the ClumioToken field.
- Enter random characters into the RoleExternalId field. The identifier is associated with the custom IAM role created by the CloudFormation template. The identifier is passed back to Clumio after the installation process finishes and does not need to be saved.
- In the Capabilities section, click the checkbox to acknowledge the statement, which informs you that the stack creation process includes creating a custom IAM role and IAM policies.
- Click Create stack. AWS creates the resources that will be used by Clumio to perform backups, snapshots, and restores.
- Perform the following steps to verify that Clumio has successfully connected to the AWS account:
- From the AWS Management Console, go to the list of CloudFormation stacks. The new stack appears in the list with a status of CREATE_COMPLETE.
- From the Clumio portal, select AWS > All Accounts and verify that the account appears with a status of Connected.
Please contact [email protected] in case of any clarifications or questions.
Updated 3 months ago